Posted on | May 20, 2013 | 6 Comments
This baby is still not here!
And I must say, I’m getting frustrated.
Technically, I’m only 2 days past my Estimated Due Date, but Sebastian arrived four days ‘early’ and I never really expected to make it all the way to 40 weeks this time.
I tapered off work clients awhile ago, so I’m basically just cleaning my apartment over and over, and of course spending quality time with my family. — I just thought that we’d be relaxing as a family of FOUR by now!
I am trying to fund my maternity break (not so much a leave, as I do work from home), so up until this baby is born, I am offering 1/2 off on ad space in my sidebar. Message me here to get set up!
There is also a donate button in the sidebar if you’re feeling generous. Some of my readers have gone above and beyond before, and I’m always sure to pay it forward. ♥
Any guesses on when this guy will be born? If you’re in the mood, leave me a comment with your guess at his birthday and birth weight! If I get enough responses, maybe I’ll send out a prize to the closest guess.
(Sebastian arrived at 10:46am on September 23rd, 4 days before his due date. He weighed 7lbs 2 oz.)
As always, thanks for following Alternative Housewife! If you’re interested, I may or may not be live tweeting during labor. And keep checking back here for updates as well as for lots of product reviews and a few giveaways coming soon!
I’m also still open to suggestions to naturally induce labor!
Oh! And a congrats/shoutout to my girl Sofia, who just welcomed her baby girl! ♥♥
Posted on | May 19, 2013 | 1 Comment
It is officially one day after my due date and I’m not in labor yet. I do have my (cute new vintage Samsonite!) bag packed though, and everything is ready to go.
I didn’t really know what I was doing when I packed my hospital bag and otherwise planned for Sebastian’s birth. I wasn’t prepared with nursing wear or, really, anything else to wear after delivery. When it came to post-partum healing, the hospital provided a lot, but I did have to send my husband out for supplies once we got home. This time around, I’m more prepared. This post is a peek into what I recommend packing and what is inside my birth bag.
(I’d like to add that while we’re doing another hospital birth, I also love the idea of a home birth. For me, the main draw of birthing outside the home is the hotel effect: a self-cleaning room, room service, and getting to enjoy a homecoming to a clean apartment!)
Note: This post contains affiliate links to Amazon and brands I support.
- Ambiance - Flameless candles, music or hypnobirthing tapes, scents. I am packing anti-anxiety aromatherapy lotion and (lavender-lemon-rose-peppermint) calming oil.
- Swimwear (optional) if you plan to use the birthing tub
- Comfy clothing for your stay – Sweat pants, tank tops, robe, perhaps socks & slippers – and something cute & comfy to wear home
- Coconut oil - Works as a moisturizer for you, moisturizer + diaper cream for baby. (This could also work in place of nipple butter.)
- Mrs. Patel’s nursing bars - While I’ve never had problems with supply, a little boost can’t hurt. These lactation treats aren’t safe during pregnancy but look delicious… So I’m packing them as an after-labor reward. Mrs. Patel’s products are also recommended to help with post-partum healing.
- Personal care items - Hair bands, face wash, tweezers, deodorant, etc.
- Cloth diapers, if you plan to start using them in the hospital
- Newborn clothes I don’t really care about the “coming home outfit” but did pack something comfortable to bring Baby Z home in. During the stay I intend on keeping him in just a diaper, skin-to-skin with me or Daddy (or Sebastian!)
- Soft, lightweight blanket – Something more comfortable than the hospital receiving blanket
Waiting at home:
- Cute comfy clothes for when visitors stop by. Friends and family will want to meet Baby, and you’ll probably end up in photos. Shop for new loungewear or dig out the clothing you were wearing at around 5 months pregnant. Above all, you want to be comfortable. Keep in mind that you will be packing a giant maxi pad for awhile – This is not the time for lululemon!
- Lactation tea – Products to help with your supply may or may not be needed, but they help me get into a confident nursing mindset. Shop Earth Mama Angel Baby or Mrs. Patel’s, or buy a box of Traditional Medicinals Organic Mother’s Milk Tea online or at your local grocery store.
- Pads. You will want a package of overnight maxi pads – I prefer Seventh Generation brand.
- Witch hazel, which you can use to soak and freeze pads to soothe swelling, stitches, etc. I also have a package of EMAB Postpartum Bath Herbs.
// Feel free to comment with anything I may have left out! What were the must-haves for your birth bag?
Posted on | May 15, 2013 | No Comments
This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Comfort and Harmony. All opinions are 100% mine.
I am expecting my newborn any day now, and gearing up for a brand new breastfeeding experience. I’m so curious how my new nursling’s habits will compare with Sebastian’s!
One of the biggest perks to nursing is that it’s free, although there are a few products that can help new moms with both comfort and confidence. I suggest that all expecting mothers purchase a couple of nursing bras a few weeks before Baby’s arrival. Breast pads (I like wool) and Nipple Butter are also essential, especially in the early days. Your first weeks with Baby will primarily be spent breastfeeding, and it’s important to have a comfy space to do so. Keep snacks – and lots of water – handy near your favorite spot on the couch or in a glider. An infant nursing pillow like the unique mombo will help support Baby and save you from back pain. (Remember, bring Baby to the breast and not the other way around!)
The mombo nursing pillow has a firmer side for nursing and a softer side for baby to lounge. It also boasts a vibration feature. I like that the mombo does double duty, making it a more economical purchase. A quality nursing pillow will hold up long after you’re done using it for breastfeeding… Especially if it vibrates!
The mombo is available in a variety of designs. Most are a little too cutesy for me but there are some more neutral patterns as well.
The Mombo is available at Toys R Us or Babies R Us and would make a great shower gift!
Posted on | May 15, 2013 | 1 Comment
Alexis is a longtime friend – She is actually the one who introduced me to my now-husband Donny! We’ve always had a lot in common, and even more so now that we are both moms. Alexis is a natural parent who just hit the one year mark of breastfeeding her daughter, Eleanor. ♥ She has had a few supply issues on and off and was excited to test out a box of yummy goodies from Mrs. Patel’s.
I will be adding my own product review once this new little babe is born! While Mrs. Patel’s products are wonderful for lactation, digestion and post-partum healing, they aren’t safe during pregnancy. I have a box of bars in my fridge that are going straight into my hospital bag once labor starts!
Check out the video review by Alexis — If you like it, be sure to subscribe to her channel and leave her a YouTube comment!
Posted on | May 3, 2013 | No Comments
Hidden cameras have always been a popular product. Whether you are wanting to film all aspects of your vacation or keep a watchful eye on your kids while you are away, tiny hidden cameras help you capture hours of video that you can review at your leisure. Each of the small cameras that Brickhouse Security recommends is made to be durable and last for hours. Many of the hidden cameras available look like other electronics, so they can be placed around the room discreetly. Pens, key chains, MP3 players and ID cards capture excellent quality video while being perfectly functional. Smaller hand-held devices can be carried with you anywhere you go or can be laid out on a table or bookcase. Each device from Brickhouse Security ships quickly and easily. The online shop happily answers any questions or concerns you may have with its live chat service. This allows you to find a product that suits your needs, even if you are in a hurry. Security is never something that should be compromised. By only carrying the highest quality hidden spy cameras, Brickhouse Security ensures that you are purchasing a product that is dependable and can be used again and again.older posts »